Friday, May 22, 2009

Jad Oakes 'Preserving Time'

"If we were able to condense, or squeeze a period of time in to a single static image, what would it look like? Compressing and layering seconds, a sequence of events, or movements in chronological order giving a static image a journey. These are moments preserved of a point in time, that take place over a period of time. Preserving an existence or a memory." - Jad Oakes



This is good to look at as an example of a way in which linear time can be interpreted through a static medium and works in contrast with the time-based work of Hiroshi Sugimoto. Sugimoto's long exposures of theatres and seascapes appear fluid and transcendent, rather than layered actions like Oakes'.


When reflecting on some of the experiements I did last year, I was working in a similar way to Oakes, layering action upon action in attempt to build a narrative story and simultaneously show the development of time.

1 comment:

  1. i love this work, it reminds me a little of what jesse is doing. loving the whole long exposure that isn't just car lights and street lights. I'm so over that!!!! I'm trying to capture video of hairballs in my mouth. I can hear myself gagging so i think the sound will have to go haha eeeew

    ReplyDelete