Monday, May 25, 2009

Amy Bennett 'Neighbors'

wooooah, these are actually really awesome. I have to admit, I'm a bit of a photography snob, and I. don't. like. painting.... not very much anyway. Probably because the best paintings were the ones I did when I was about 3 or 4 of the 'Dangerous 'O' Houses' series, and the only things I've tried to paint at art school have failed miserably. Anyway, I'm usually more drawn to cool bright sparkley paintings-Ruben Patterson, Sara Hughes etc.. or old dramatically dark staged ones which remind me of narrative photography. But I'm learning..

Amy Bennett's series 'Neighbors' are studies of small models which she has constructed herself.

Losing It, oil on panel,2006

Someday You'll Long for This, oil on canvas,2006
We Can Never Go Home Again, oil on panel, 2006

They're kind of reminiscent of Gregory Crewdson, in the way they're little staged urbanscapes,
or the photos I took of the Pegasus model...

Gregory Crewdson, Untitled from the series 'Twilight', 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment